Saturday 16 October 2010

£113 million. What would you do with it?




Becoming a millionaire, or even a billionaire, is always high up on most people’s aims in life. Travie McCoy sings about wanting to be one, most football clubs are run by one, and a successful gameshow has also been created where your intelligence could enable you to join the seven figure plus club. Money is such a coveted necessity these days it is hard not to dream of becoming rich, especially as it is so heavily exploited in the media.

However, what would it be like if you became a millionaire overnight? In comparison to building your fortune over several years, becoming an overnight millionaire is a totally different proposition. There is a much bigger temptation to squander all your money, just like Michael Carroll did back in 2003 when he won £9.7 million. 7 years on, and he’s back earning jobseekers allowance, while proudly proclaiming that all he spent his money on was drugs, gambling and prostitutes. Maybe he wouldn’t have spent it so quickly if he knew he could have been best mates with Ashley Cole.

The recent Euromillions draw on Friday 8th October still has a ticket worth a measly £113 million waiting to be claimed. Such a vast amount of cash, as well as the fact no-one has come forward to claim a sum that would surely secure their future, has got me thinking; what would I actually do with all that money if it was me?

I’d probably start off by following the trend and purchasing both a new car and a house. With all that money you could easily fit two of each animal in your new home, and call it Noah’s Ark while you’re there. Also, whilst my twelve car garage was being built I’d realise slowly that I’d be richer than most popstars. Even David Cameron would be banging on my door begging me to pay 0.1% of the country’s debt off, so in that sense I’d be a bit awestruck.

After all, I would officially be the luckiest person in the world having won £113 million just by selecting a few numbers. Then again, I would probably try and create something with the money that wouldn’t normally exist. Something like a real Willy Wonka factory, which I reckon would be possible, and be honest, would you say no to swimming in a chocolate river? A DeLorean from Back To The Future would be something else worth splashing cash on, and especially handy to go forward in time to make sure I wasn’t the next Michael Carroll. Sonic screwdrivers are also an option, although I think house and car crime could be a little higher if they ever went on the market.

In all honesty, in the 10 minutes that I sat down to think about what I’d do with all that money, my imagination went wild, but nothing available right now stood out for me. Maybe the person with the winning ticket is unsure as to what they’d actually do with all the cash, or maybe they’ve changed their mind and don’t want it at all. Or, in the most unfortunate of circumstances, the silly sausage has just lost it down the back of the sofa.

Why don’t you all have a think about it, I mean what would you do with £113 million? You could share it all and buy a pint for every person in the country, or you could sit and ponder what to do with the money, just like I’ve just done.

No comments:

Post a Comment