Sunday 11 September 2011

9/11: Gone but never forgotten...



So I figured that doing an article in the form of a news report wouldn’t really work for the terrorist attacks in New York because it has been covered so much I felt I couldn’t offer you anything you hadn’t already seen or read. So I guess this is just my attempt to try and give my own collective view on the event and what has happened since then. Whether it proves to be a failed attempt, we shall see.

If you ask anyone where they were when the attacks happened they will be able to tell you. Me? I was in my living room pretending to do my homework but actually playing an important football match on my Playstation. I remember being 5 minutes away from victory which would have put me through to the European Cup final, until my mum burst through our front door, made a beeline for the television and demanded it to be switched over to the news. Usually, as the unruly kid I used to be, I would argue my case until I had managed to finish my important match. However I thought it was too strange behaviour from my mum for it to be her regular daytime soap, so I did as I was told.

Then I saw what happened over and over again. The sight of the two towers collapsing made my football game pale in significance. I was only 12 at the time but it hit me like a brick wall, I pretty much knew I wouldn’t see anything like that again. I have nothing but sheer admiration and respect for the firemen that risked their lives running into the towers conscious of the fact they would collapse at any moment, bearing the attitude that any life saved would serve as a victory.

This theory that at a major event or occurrence people will remember where they were and what they were doing is called flashbulb memory. Of course, major events such as 9/11 are very rare, but I can only think that this instance of flashbulb memory will help the legacy of the victims live on and not let their heroic efforts be forgotten. That day will forever be etched in people’s memories across the world, and even though I’m not American, on this particular day I feel American, well I at least feel a connection and share the same sadness the New Yorkers feel.

I can’t quite believe it’s been 10 years since it all happened. Pardon my use of a clichĂ©, but it only feels like yesterday that it happened, seeing as the memories are still so vivid. However what I think they have planned in place of the twin towers is truly remarkable. Two memorial water features will be placed where the twin towers stood, with the names of each and every person that person engraved round the outside, and I think this will serve as a great reminder, not just to the people of Manhattan but everyone that comes to visit as well.

In terms of replacing the World Trade Centre, there will be one tower named “One World Trade Centre”, exactly the same height of the two former towers, and two smaller towers that will mimic the footprint of the twin towers. There are also another two towers being built and another in the planning, with completion of these expected in 2020. There are also other subliminal ways to remember those who died on the plaza surrounding the complex, with a national museum devoted to the September 11th attacks in place too.

All in all I feel this is an appropriate way to remember the victims of these devastating attacks, yet I think it was important not to replicate the World Trade Centre site but to build a developed and advanced version that is still capable of holding the memories of the people that were lost.

I realise this will seem like a rushed piece, but I felt it was important for me to create my own little tribute for the heroics that these people performed, and how their lives were taken in such a cruel way.

We will remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment